This recipe won first runner-up in a national breakfast competition that had over 300 entries!
One of the great things about this recipe is that it takes simple ingredients and combines them in a very different way. It’s also easy to substitute for dietary restrictions – make it veggie by using spinach, feta, and sun-dried tomatoes or omit the cheese for lactose sensitivities.
- 4 medium sized potatoes, peeled, shredded, and drained (approx ½ pound per person)**
- 2 eggs
- ½ t salt
- ¼ t fresh ground pepper
- 1 c sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 6 slices diced ham
- ¼ c minced chives
- Cooking spray
- Poached eggs (optional)
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- Heat waffle iron to medium high while preparing mixture
- Whisk together eggs, salt, and pepper then mix in cheese, ham, and chives
- Stir egg mixture into shredded potatoes
- Generously spray waffle iron with cooking spray
- Scoop approximately 1 c (if using a scale, approx 185g) of potato mixture onto waffle iron
- Cook 5-10 minutes until golden brown
- Waffles can be stored in a warm (225 degrees) oven on a rack while the rest are made
- Top with a poached egg, additional chives, red pepper flakes, etc.
**To drain potatoes after shredding, place them on a kitchen towel and squeeze them into a ball until all the liquid is out of them. Do this in multiple batches to make sure that they are as drained as possible as wet potatoes will not brown or crisp.